Friday, March 06, 2009

My name is Jackie, and I'm a Twitterer

I admit I have a problem. It all started with NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), where I hooked up with a few other writers like myself - you know - One-day novelists ("One day, I'll write a novel"). Some of us started following one another on Twitter. One thing led to another and now I've joined the Writing Adventure Group.

So I blog my writing adventure, and then I read other people's blogs about the same writing adventure. Then I click into some of the blogs they have listed on their blogs and end up reading more and more interesting, funny, creative, inspiring blogs.

Then I start following all of those blogs, AND I start following all of those blog writers' twitters. Then I start following literary agents' twitters and then following literary agents' blogs. I knew i had a problem when I went to Facebook and wrote a status message that was unrecognizable to anyone who doesn't follow the same Twitters I follow. (It takes someone reading #queryfail to recognize someone writing about #queryfail.)

I don't know where it's going to end. It's like opening a box of cookies and saying "I'll just eat two." The next thing you know, you've spent an entire day doing nothing but reading... not....writing.

So I'm posting a cry for help on my blog. This way, I'll find out if anyone else has the same problem I have, or if I'm all alone in this cruel, cruel world. Is there a Bloggers or Twitterers Anonymous? A little bit of blog reading can be a good thing. Everything in moderation, as they say. But it's gone too far and I don't know how to stop.

I now think in Twitters... as if I'm doing or thinking anything relevant enough for the world to want to know about in 140 characters or less??

4 comments:

Criss L. Cox said...

I feel your pain... but, alas, I have no solutions or suggestions.

Thankfully, #queryfail will only be once a month. Guess who will be sick and bedridden that day. :P

Carver said...

Hi Jackie,

I'm not a twitterer yet but I can so relate. There is a blog called Addicted to Medblogs. Although I still read that blogger, I've dropped most of the medblogs (ones doctors and nurses have). They are addictive and scary. A lot of doctors blog and for a while I was reading their blogs but I started getting paranoid so I did cure my medblog addiction. However, I still have a ton of blogs in my bloglines which I follow. Between the photobloggers, melanoma bloggers, and other cancer bloggers, it is a lot, and I still read them although doing it in a feedreader like bloglines helps. Good luck with your addiction!

Thanks for your well wishes on my blog for my appointment and scan. I had the appointment right after the scan so they didn't tell me anything but said if there was a problem they would call Friday (yesterday) or Monday. I assume I'm NED because bad news travels fast at my docs and good news is slower. For that reason I went ahead and assumed good news when I don't hear yesterday.

I hope you have a great weekend, Carver

Jen said...

Hi! I don't know if you saw Stephen Colbert's comment about Twittering at Obama's address to Congress. He said that what you couldn't see was that Obama, too, was twittering: "OMG, totally addressing Congress!! LOL Mitch McConnell looks like a turtle!" Here's the link:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/219949/february-26-2009/claire-mccaskill-s-twittering

Linda said...

Yeah, the whole electronic thing is soooo addictive - FB, twitter, the forums, the blogs... but so much fun. I kick myself though because I could be writing. SHOULD be writing. Holy cow.

Love your blog, I'll be back, and thanks for visiting mine.

And Carver says there are medblogs. I'm in deep doo-doo now, I'm in the biz and haven't expanded beyound the writing biz and the mental health/substance abuse biz.

Peace, Linda