Monday, March 30, 2009

To Write...or to Edit?

I recently subscribed to a page called "Writing for Dollars" on Facebook. The first update I recevied from them was titled "Sneak Peak for you-all." Obviously they are not "Editing for Dollars," which brings me to my point: Just write! Edit later. Do edit, of course, but keep in mind that if you pick a grape before its time, (that's the possessive "its," by the way. I can understand if someone might think I meant "before it is time," and therefore believe that I should have put an apostrophe, but I digress because I'm editing while writing)... um... what was I going to say??? Oh yes, if you pick a grape before the appropriate time, the end result may - no WILL - be piss-poor wine.

This was a response to: "Is writing making me dumber? Or, more dumb? Or dumberer? - Writing a Novel is a Piece of Cake... Right?! - The Speculative Fiction Writers Tookit" - http://www.sfwriterstoolkit.com/cake/2009/3/27/is-writing-making-me-dumber-or-more-dumb-or-dumberer.html#comments#ixzz0BHGalNOS

2 comments:

Jen said...

Only edit when you get tired of writing, says I. Better yet, get someone to do the editing for you. Which reminds me, I need to get on that. As soon as I finish lending money to J.K. Rowling, that is.

Criss L. Cox said...

I'm really good at the writing. The editing...? Not so much. Too lazy to get started on it. Bleagh!